Yasuko Namba

Yasuko Namba:

Early Life:

Yasuko Namba was born in February 2,1949 in Tokyo, Japan. She’s a famous mountaineer who is renowned for being the second woman to conquer all the seven summits after Junko Tabei. She died while descending from the last summit on the list, Mount Everest in the 1996 Everest disaster. She was on the expedition team of Adventure Consultants led by Rob Hall.


Namba was born and raised in Tokyo, Japan, where she lived most of her early life normally. She worked as a businesswoman for Federal Express in Japan. Though she was a business person, she had always been fond of mountaineering. Her hobby persuaded her to travel all around the world, climbing the highest summits of each continent was her dream. She went out to explore the world and the mountains.

Her first summit was Mt. Kilimanjaro in Africa. She summited Kilimanjaro on the event of New Year’s Day in 1982, and she continued to summit the seven highest peaks of the seven continents.  Exactly after two years, she reached the summit of Aconcagua in South America. After three years, on July 1, 1985, she summited Denali. She took some time to summit another one of seven summits. After seven years, she summited Mount Elbrus on August 1, 1992.  Then, a year later, she summited Vinson Massif on December 29,1994. One after another year, she summited the highest peaks of each region. In November 12, 1994, she reached the summit of Carstensz Pyramid. Six of the seven summits were conquered by a Japanese Businesswoman who had the will to be one of the greatest female mountaineers the world had ever seen. The only one left was Mount Everest, the highest and toughest of them all. She decided to go with Rob Hall’s Adventure Consultants in the 1996 expedition. In April, 1996, her journey began to become the second woman to conquer all the seven summits, including the highest mountain in the world.

She eventually summited Everest on May 10, 1996.  At the age of 47, she became the oldest woman to summit Everest at that time. (her record was later beaten by Anna Czerwinska who summited Everest at the age of 50.

She got caught on the blizzard while descending late from the summit and didn’t make it to safety on time. She was left for dead when her condition was beyond helping. She died from exposure on the mountain.  Her frozen body stayed there, cold and lifeless. Later in 1997, her body was brought down the mountain by an operation funded by her husband. She now rests peacefully in her home country.